History

The department of Mechatronics, Optics and Mechanical Engineering Informatics had several changes in its name, has undergone separations and mergers in the past 50 years. One of the predecessors of the department was a department at the Faculty of Military Engineering terminated in 1956. The Department of Precision Mechanics and Optics was founded in 1957 by the Kossuth prize holder Professor Dr. Nándor Bárány, member of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences. He was followed by Dr.Olivér Petrik, Dr. Zoltán Kaposvári, Dr. Attila Halmai and Dr. György Ábrahám. Mechatronic sciences have been taught at the department since the late 1980s. The Department, already under the name of department of Mechatronics, Optics and Instrument Technology, merged with the Mechanical Engineering Informatics Department, headed by Dr. László Monostori in 2007. This latter department is the legal successor of the Institute of Thermal Energy and Systems Engineering headed by Dr. Imre Szabó and the Information Engineering Laboratory at the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering. The new department headed by professor Dr. habil. György Ábrahám, doctor of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences works its scientific fields in organic unity with its predecessors in building D, floors 4 and 5.

The department teaches and researches complex systems where mechatronics, control engineering, optics and precision mechanics are organic combined. Furthermore, the department teaches the basics of measurement and information technology for the students of the faculty.